Quantcast

Glass Artist in Wilmington NC

Elena
Hi:  We moved to Wilmington, NC in June 2010.  I mostly do fused and painted glass and have experimented with casting.  Started with stained glass in 2001.  Will be moving more into casting in the next couple of years.

Re: Glass Artist in Wilmington NC

jestersbaubles
Welcome! I think many fusers started with stained glass. I keep thinking I need to get back into it :)

Dana W.
http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http:/jestersbaubles.blogspot.com

Re: Glass Artist in Wilmington NC

antesoo
Welcome Elena, I am in Australia but work in Saudi so an International member I guess.  I am interested in hearing ore about your glass paints. what type do you use and what temp do you fire them to? I have only experimented in a workshop with them, but have some ideas floating around that mean I would have to go and and actually buy some .LOL
Cheers from Sue B
 Aussie Glass Artist.
Art is for everyone.

Re: Glass Artist in Wilmington NC

wizatlarge
Administrator
Hi Elena,

Welcome to our forum.  What kind of glass painting are you doing?  Is it paints that are fused on?  That's what I'm trying to learn how to do.  My friend Ali recommends using A14 and Sunshine enamels, if I remember correctly.  Of course, I bought some Colors for Earth instead, which I haven't really tried to use yet.  We'll see how that works out.

So you've done a bit of glass casting, right?  I've never tried that but I do love to look at the work done by Colour de Verre.  They make some really nice molds and they've done some nice example pieces which they publish in their newsletter.  Hopefully I'll be getting some of their molds soon so I can experiment too.

Hope you have fun here.  Show us a few pics of your work.  There is a nice discussion going on in the kilnforming subforum about making kiln pressed glass.  After you press it you can turn it into a vase or a dish.  I did a candle cup and it came out quite nicely.

Cheers,

Gabe

Re: Glass Artist in Wilmington NC

wizatlarge
Administrator
Hi Dana,

I've only made one stained glass piece.  It was a kaleidoscope made with dichroic glass.  A very unique design.  Not very practical though.  Basically it was a V shaped tube with the point at the bottom. It had feet soldered to the bottom so it would stand by itself when not in use. The top of the V, a flat surface, was made from transparent dichro, so the light could shine through.  The sides of the V were both made of 1st surface mirror, which is what made the kaleidoscopic image.  The part that was a little impractical was that it had plastic beads just rolling around inside the V.  That's what was reflected in the mirrors.  The far end was a white piece of glass, V shaped, and the end you looked into was a clear piece of glass.  I have no idea what happened to it.  I gave it to my wife and she liked it for a minute.

The main problem with it was the soldering. I didn't put any kind of patina on it.  Just left it silver,but I waxed it.  Very quickly it not only tarnished, but became corroded looking.  When I asked a few people they said I didn't clean the flux off well enough and it had eaten into the copper foil.  That's why my wife lost interest.  I was very disappointed. Not only that but I discovered that it really gave me a major amount of pain in my hands.  Applying the copper foil that is. I don't know why but it was really bad.

So, after that I didn't make any more stained glass items.  I switched to glass fusing and have been quite happy to stick with that ever since.

Cheers,

Gabe

jestersbaubles wrote
Welcome! I think many fusers started with stained glass. I keep thinking I need to get back into it :)
Ali

Re: Glass Artist in Wilmington NC

Ali
Hey Gabe,

I actually use the Fuse master enamels with A14, it's Shirley from MD that uses the Sunshine enamels. But I think both are very good and will give a nice color. The A14 is nice and silky, it doesn't dry too fast either so you have time to work with the image.

I do like glass painting but I haven't done much glass lately

Ali

Re: Glass Artist in Wilmington NC

wizatlarge
Administrator
Thanks Ali.  I have to buy some soon.  Not that I'm any great shakes as a painter, but I think it will be a fun technique to try.

Cheers,

Gabe

Re: Glass Artist in Wilmington NC

jestersbaubles
Hi Gabe,

Yes, I think I like fusing better because you can skip the foiling and get straight to results (instant gratification ;). They do make foilers which are supposed to make the job easier, but I never tried one.

Most of my stained glass pieces I gave away as gifts, or as donations to auctions. I did four vases, two lamps, and quite a few smaller panels. In my possession I have my very first panel, a medium-sized suncatcher, and a lamp shade. The panel and suncatcher are hung in my glass room; the lamp is in storage and my husband managed to tip over a few months ago. I need to repair an edge piece and then pack it away. Unfortunately, it is the wrong colors for my house now, which is why it is in storage. I'm having a hard time getting excited about the repair, since soldering out pieces is risky business! The last piece I did was a sidelight for a door, and then a year later, we moved so the sidelight is installed in the house and someone else is enjoying it.

I am selling my fused pieces, but its slow business given it's not my full-time job. I have a lot sitting around and being enjoyed :)

Dana

http://www.jestersbaubles.com
http:/jestersbaubles.blogspot.com

Re: Glass Artist in Wilmington NC